School Councils play a key role in Victorian government schools.
School Councils are groups who make decisions that set the direction of the school in the best interest of the students. The work of the School Council includes governance and decisions on the Strategic Plan, financial activities, facilities, and policy.
The objectives of a school council are set out in the school council’s constituting Order and section 2.3.4 of the Education and Training Reform Act and are to:
- assist in the efficient governance of the school
- ensure that its decisions affecting students of the school are made having regard, as a primary consideration, to the best interest of the students
- enhance the educational opportunities of students at the school
- ensure the school and the council complies with any requirements of the Education and Training Reform Act, the Education and Training Reform Regulations, a Ministerial Order or a direction, guideline or policy issued under the Education and Training Reform Act
Council membership consists of:
- the principal, who is the executive officer
- parents who are chosen through an election
- at least one school or Department of Education & Training (DET) staff member
APS School Council
The Auburn Primary School Council consists of twelve members in total: eight parent members and four Department of Education & Training (DET) members including the Principal. Councillors serve a two-year term, with half the Council standing for election each year.
Nominations for School Council are called during Term 1 via Compass. Elections, involving the whole school community, are held if the number of nominations exceeds the number of vacancies on Council.
As a school community, we value diversity and inclusivity. We invite all parents to consider involvement in this important governing body of our school. Each member brings their own valuable life skills and knowledge to the role.
Our current School Council includes the following members:
Tim Sawalaga – Executive Officer/Principal
Allison Blackley – Assistant Principal
Andrew Wood – Assistant Principal
Josh Kelly – Learning Specialist & Year 3/4 Classroom Teacher
James Haviland (School Council President) is the parent to Alexander in Year 5 and Robbie in Year 3.
Clare Kitching (Treasurer) is a parent to Evie in Year 2 and Annabel in Prep.
Steve Miles is a parent to Darcy in Prep.
Jo Foong is a parent to Olive in Prep.
Mark Felder is a parent to Aida in Prep.
Rachel Miles is a parent of Lucian in Year 5.
Ingrid Chernov – Ingrid has one child at the school, William in Year 1. She has been a school councillor since 2020. She is currently a member of the school’s facilities management sub-committee. She has a background in IT and project management.
Steve Whittington has two children at Auburn PS. Annabel in Year 2 and Harry in Prep.
All School Council members can be contacted via the school’s email address firstname.lastname@example.org, and questions regarding Council can be addressed to either James Haviland (President) or Tim Sawalaga (Principal).